What we believe
Independent: True Gospel Baptist Church is not a member of any ecclesiastical organization but is wholly independent. This does not mean we have isolated ourselves. We consider churches of like faith to be our friends and enjoy Christian fellowship.
As an independent Baptist church, we are not affiliated with any particular Baptist denomination or ruling body. Because of this we can select our own leaders, support our own missionaries and institutions as we feel led by the Lord. In short, our church answers to the headship of Jesus Christ rather than a denominational body.
Fundamental: True Gospel Baptist Church believes that there are certain essential truths which should be believed and defended by all Christians.
Some of these truths are as follows....
1. The Scriptures: We believe that the Bible was written by men who were moved by the Holy Spirit 2 Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
We believe the Word of God to be inspired, inerrant and without flaw. 2 Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: This inspiration was verbal (each word – 1 Corinthians 2:9-13) and plenary (completely – 2 Timothy 3:16-17). It is the true center of Christian union and the supreme standard by which all human conduct, creeds, and opinions should be tried.
2. Deity of Christ: We believe that Jesus Christ is fully God.
Jn 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. Jn 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
3. Virgin Birth: We believe the coming of Christ “in the flesh” was predicted by Isaiah and processed by the Virgin Birth (Isaiah 7:14; 9:6). He was born of Mary alone (Matthew 1:16) and conceived of the Holy Spirit (Luke 1:35).
4. Substitutionary Atonement: We believe Christ died in the place of sinners Ro 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
5. Salvation by grace through faith Eph 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
6. Repentance is a necessary ingredient for true conversion. We reject all forms of what is commonly referred to as “easy believism”. Lk 13:5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
7. Bodily Resurrection of Christ: We believe Christ arose from death and the grave after three days. Lk 24:39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have. 1 Co 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;